From: Caracciolo, Caterina (ESS)
Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:18 PM
To: ***@***.***-groups.org
Cc: ***@***.***; Brandon Whitehead <***@***.***>
Subject: reminder - group call today 4:30pm CET
To join the call, go to: https://rendez-vous.renater.fr/agrisemantics
Best
Caterina for the chairs

  • catherine roussey's picture

    Author: catherine roussey

    Date: 09 Jan, 2020

    Hello
    I could help for 4 and 5 tasks, as you want...
    I would appreciate that during the next call, the minutes were writting
    on the fly, on a share document. It helps me to understand what you
    needs and what you do. My english is not so good, and sometime the
    connexion is very poor quality. Sorry for that.
    Best
    Catherine

  • catherine roussey's picture

    Author: catherine roussey

    Date: 09 Jan, 2020

    Hello
    about our discussion on adding some references in the introduction
    I have tried to ask "why we need to share data now in agriculture, why
    it is urgent to do it"
    There is a link  from a french institute that answer part of the question
    http://www.acta.asso.fr/fileadmin/ressources/R_D/themes/numerique/201610...
    for frenchies https://numerique.acta.asso.fr/livreblanc_acta_data/
    Is it this kind of reference that you want or you want scientific one?
    Best
    Catherine

  • Caterina Caracciolo's picture

    Author: Caterina Caracciolo

    Date: 09 Jan, 2020

    Hi Catherine - good point, thanks!
    I've just created a new doc, same folder as the draft, where I copied the minutes + your input.
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BGSTt6egHUYq-6l-x4ScakURTEJ5x5m3hOlF...
    Best
    Caterina
    Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2020 11:47 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-agrisemantics-wg] Minutes from group call Jan 7th
    Hello
    I could help for 4 and 5 tasks, as you want...
    I would appreciate that during the next call, the minutes were writting on the fly, on a share document. It helps me to understand what you needs and what you do. My english is not so good, and sometime the connexion is very poor quality. Sorry for that.
    Best
    Catherine
    Le 09/01/2020 à 11:03, catecara via Agrisemantics WG a écrit :
    Group call #3 - Jan 7th 2020
    Present: Caterina, Sophie, Catherine, Emna, Romain, Leyla
    Regrets: Clement
    Agreed to organize duty sharing by tasks (e.g. writing, bib, ..). Below the list of tasks identified during the call, plus volunteers proposed. Extra tasks or more/different volunteers may be proposed before next call. Next call will be dedicated to assessing this organization and the progress made.
    Tasks - Volunteers
    1. Writing - Caterina, Sophie, Emna
    2. Bibliography - Leyla (mgt of bib app), Romain (proposals for refs)
    3. Graphics - Emna
    4. Formatting (journal style) - ?
    5. EN Proofreading - ?
    Author: Christopher Brewster

    Date: 09 Jan, 2020

    Dear Catherine,
    I had a quick look and the English version does not really answer the question "why?" and "why urgent".
    There is an underlying assumption here about data – that it must be good – without any real articulation of the why which is deeper.
    I would argue there are push and pull factors:
    Push
    * Technology companies (ICT) want to push new technologies on agriculture which is a relatively non-digitised sector. See the explosion of ideas about IoT in agri, or the use of satellite data, for example
    * Farm machinery companies want to digitise their machinery and become "data companies"
    * Consultancies and other influencers want agrifood to adopt the latest sexy technology (the blockchain wave is on the wane, but we are in the middle of AI hype)
    * Regulators want digital solutions for agrifood problems (e.g. tracking manure in the Netherlands, EC wanting to spot CAP fraud, managing food crises like E. Coli or horsemeat more effectively, etc.)
    Pull (?)
    * Some farmers want more digital technology in the hope that data may optimise their production, lower operating costs, or even provide a new revenue stream.
    * Some consumers and NGOs hope that more digital technologies, more data will allow them to "see" into the food system (environmental footprint, water usage, slavery etc.)
    * Many researchers at every step of the agrifood system (crop development, farm practices, supply chains, nutrition) see data as the key tool – more data *should* make research results easier to obtain, and make having an impact easier.
    There are plenty more dimensions here, these are the first I could think of.
    Each one has a separate literature.
    It would be interesting to see if there was literature demonstrating the utility of sharing data rather than just taking it as assumed.
    I note that the ACTA document is aware of the potential for a dytopian outcome of more data sharing ....
    Best wishes / Met vriendelijke groet,
    Christopher
    Dr. Christopher Brewster
    Senior Scientist, Data Science Dept., TNO | Soesterberg, Netherlands
    Professor, Application of Emerging Technologies,
    Institute of Data Science, Maastricht University.
    M +31 (0)6 2705 4646 E ***@***.***

    Author: catherine roussey

    Date: 09 Jan, 2020

    Dear Christopher
    thanks for your answer, it helps me to understand
    sure my question is not the good one:
    so I try again: why now we need to merge (join) agri data from different
    sources?
    To join we need that part of the data are shared (pivot de
    jointure)...and we need to understand the data, share the data schema
    and its documentation.
    sure the merging implies that we can not reuse the data as it...some
    data are unmergeable, because not understandable... and some data are
    mergeable based on transformations...the transformation provides links
    to the  pivot de jointure... the linkage may fails some parts. So what
    is the quality of the merging results.
    merging is needed to have a global view + a local and complete view .
    global view is needed for climatic changes...
    local view is needed for better decision system  and traceability.
    sharing some data (pivot de jointure + data schema) will improve the
    quality of the merging results...
    Best
    Catherine

submit a comment