From: katescrivens <***@***.***>
Date: Thursday, 16 October 2014 10:58 PM
To: Urban Quality of Life Indicators <***@***.***-groups.org>
Subject: [rda_urbanqli_wg] Invitation to OECD workshop on "Using Technology to Engage Citizens with Well-being Statistics", Oct 27, Paris.
Dear all,
This is the first time I've posted in this group but I've been following your work with interest since Max invited me to join in July (I was unfortunately unable to attend the Plenary last month).
Just to introduce myself - I manage an OECD-hosted project called Wikiprogress, which aims to be a collaborative knowledge base bringing together data, reports and other resources related to the measurement of well-being and progress. It was developed as an offshoot of the OECD's methodological work on measuring well-being and quality of life, but is intended to be a community-owned resource (the OECD holds no responsibility over its content). In the coming months, we'll be making some changes to the site, most notably moving the bulk of content to a new open-source platform, which is intended to be a comprehensive cataogue of data and statistical resources related to well-being, progress and quality of life. The new platform is in beta and we are currently populating it with relevant information - if you'd like your data product or organisation to be included on the new platform, please get in touch with me.
Finally, if there is any way you can make your way to Paris for the 27th October, you are warmly invited to join us for a workshop on "Using technology to engage citizens with Well-being Statistics". This workshop is part of a EC-funded project, Web-COSI, and there will be sessions on the potential and limitations of crowdsourced and open data, as well as a session on innovative communication tools. You can find the agenda and registration information here, and the event will also be webcast on the day. Please feel free to circulate the information to anyone you think may be interested.
I look forward to folllowing the work of this very interesting group. All the best,
Kate Scrivens
email: ***@***.***
--
Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/urban-quality-life-indicators/post/invitat...

File Attachment:
AttachmentSize
File uqol-data-dictionary-proposal.docx23.51 KB
  • Elizabeth Griffin's picture

    Author: Elizabeth Griffin

    Date: 23 Oct, 2014

    Hi Chris,
    It COULD be interesting, but it doesn't tell me what the indicators are - what is the slice of pie coloured red? A population density? Any good poster needs to show its message clearly and immediately, not require fishing around for explanations!
    Elizabeth Griffin
    Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:41 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: [rda_urbanqli_wg] Metropolitan Indicators Poster
    Hi All
    Thought this poster being produced by The Neptis Foundation might be of interest.
    http://www.neptis.org/publications/metropolitan-indicators-poster
    Regards
    Chris
    From: katescrivens <***@***.***>
    Date: Thursday, 16 October 2014 10:58 PM
    To: Urban Quality of Life Indicators <***@***.***-groups.org>
[...]

  • Simon Cox's picture

    Author: Simon Cox

    Date: 23 Oct, 2014

    Elizabeth -
    If you get the full poster (linked further down the page) the key is included.
    Red slice = Public transit, walking and cycling
    Black = Private motorized.
    Simon
    Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014 12:48 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org

    Author: Elizabeth Griffin

    Date: 23 Oct, 2014

    Thanks, Simon. According to that translation, Canadian cities come off rather well - much more than they deserve to, because
    our present Conservative Govt is hell bent on appeasing the oil industries (as is also the UK one, as far as I'm informed). Tar sands or fracking, it's a horribly travesty of a 21-Century avowal to make life everywhere more worth living.
    Elizabeth
    Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014 12:48 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org

    Author: Simon Cox

    Date: 24 Oct, 2014

    Coal is the industry being appeased here. The previous government introduced incentives to reach a renewable energy target of 20% (fairly pathetic when you consider Australia's renewable potential). Due to reduction in use this now looks like overshooting to 27%. Instead of celebrating, they are now planning to cut the incentives.
    Sent: Friday, 24 October 2014 12:48 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    From: katescrivens <***@***.***>
    Date: Thursday, 16 October 2014 10:58 PM
    To: Urban Quality of Life Indicators <***@***.***-groups.org>
[...]

  • Max Craglia's picture

    Author: Max Craglia

    Date: 05 Nov, 2014

    Dear WG,
    in our revised case statement we put forward the following:
    The WG will assess the feasibility of developing a dedicated urban data dictionary, leveraging existing thesauri and dictionaries such as the INSPIRE feature concept dictionary, the General Environmental Multilingual Thesaurus, EuroVOC, etc. and augmented by folksonomies derived from social networks data mining.
    Clearly ISO 37120 will be a key point of reference for this work, but we are not sure whether there is an open registry con containing all the terms and definitions underpinning the global city indicators. If this is the case, then maybe we can use an instance of that registry to do the work outlined above. If not, maybe we can start from the core set of aligned vocabularies discussed in the attached proposal. A mixed approach is also possible.
    Let me know what you think,
    I put my colleagues Lorenzino and Andrea in copy as they have developed the proposal outlined in the attachment.
    Best wishes,
    Max
    Massimo Craglia
    European Commission
    DG Joint Research Centre
    Digital Earth and Reference Data Unit
    T.P.262, JRC, Via Fermi,
    21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
    Tel: +390332786269
    Fax: +390332786325
    International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research
    http://ijsdir.jrc.ec.europa.eu

submit a comment