AW: [rda-bigdata-ig] Rebranding the Big Data Analytics IG

Groups audience:

All,
>-- I also agree with this selection, especially Big Data Management as a
new topic. Big Data Machine Learning Algorithms is good idea as well.
All,
>-- I also agree with this selection, especially Big Data Management as a
new topic. Big Data Machine Learning Algorithms is good idea as well.
Not triggering a big discussion but
perhaps we can agree that
analytics/mining/machine learning
have significant overlaps and thus should
be discussed together.
Take care,
Morris
    Author: Kwo-Sen Kuo

    Date: 20 Jan, 2015

    Hi,
    Can we just have "Big Data"? That way the official name of our interest
    group will be "Big Data Interest Group", which, I think, is very
    appropriate, i.e. anything that is of interest to Big Data. It is also very
    inclusive.
    We could form "alliances" or "associates" with other IGs/WGs. For example,
    we can form alliances/associations with Reproducibility IG to look into
    reproducibility in Big Data environment, with Geospatial IG to look into
    how geospatial information and processing are best done with various Big
    Data technologies, etc.
    We could form WGs to look into the things mentioned in previous messages in
    association with Big Data. For example,
    - How Machine Learning is best done with various Big Data technologies?
    pluses and minuses?
    - How Visualization should be done with various Big Data technologies?
    Are there commonalities across the technologies? Is it possible to make the
    visualization layer independent of the backend Big Data technology?
    - What are the pluses and minuses (i.e. trade-offs) of various Big Data
    architectures?
    - How easy is data management with various Big Data technologies?
    The list can go on forever... :-).
    I believe with a sort of catch-all name like "Big Data Interest Group", it
    can really broaden and deepen what this IG can do, with sensible management
    and organization, of course.
    Thanks,
    Kuo
    ___
    Kwo-Sen *Kuo*, PhD
    Bayesics, LLC
    Bowie, MD 20720
    301-343-4569
    202-492-3408
    *Also affiliated with*
    NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
    Mesoscale Atmospheric Processes Laboratory
    Greenbelt, MD 20771
    *and*
    Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center
    University of Maryland
    College Park, MD 20740-3823
    On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54 AM, morrisriedel <***@***.***-juelich.de>

  • Peter Baumann's picture

    Author: Peter Baumann

    Date: 20 Jan, 2015

    Hi Kuo,
    this is what the message wanted to say, actually. As we had discussed
    beforehand, the name should be shortened (and generalized) to "Big Data IG",
    thereby accommodating all facets. I couldn't agree more to what you outline below!
    best,
    Peter

  • Suchith Anand's picture

    Author: Suchith Anand

    Date: 21 Jan, 2015

    Good idea and Geospatial IG will be keen to work on synergies  and how we can use geospatial information to bring together context. The joint meeting of Geospatial IG and Big Data IG at RDA5 will be good start for exploring ideas.
    Suchith
> [...]
    On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54 AM, morrisriedel <***@***.***-juelich.de> wrote:
    All,
    >-- I also agree with this selection, especially Big Data Management as a
    new topic. Big Data Machine Learning Algorithms is good idea as well.
    Not triggering a big discussion but
    perhaps we can agree that
    analytics/mining/machine learning
    have significant overlaps and thus should
    be discussed together.
    Take care,
    Morris
    I'm interested in Big Data Infrastructures as a new topic. It is quite
    near of "Big Bata Architectures", which could be alternative term for
    this (perhaps little bit broader viewpoint, but still same idea, I think).
    I also agree with this selection, especially Big Data Management as a
    new topic. Big Data Machine Learning Algorithms is good idea as well.
    BR,
    Ville Tenhunen

submit a comment