Global Water Information IG session during the 8th RDA plenary, International Data Week, Denver, Sept 11-17

Groups audience:

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to invite you to participate in the RDA Global Water Information Interest Group session on Thursday 14 September, 14-15:30. It will be a part of the International Data Week (IDW, http://www.internationaldataweek.org/).
The main goals of the Water Interest Group within the Research Data Alliance is to bring water data infrastructure issues for discussion among RDA data experts from across disciplines and technical fields, and to explore applications of technologies and approaches developed by RDA technical groups to the water domain. See the group's charter for more details.
We are planning to discuss the following topics at the Denver meeting:
1. Dynamic data citation (followup from the previous meeting)
* Dynamic data citation in the UK National River Flow Archive
* Management of data citation in other water data sharing projects (eg HydroShare, CUAHSI WDC)
* Additional use cases for dynamic data citation in the water domain (if you are familiar with additional solutions for time series data citation - please suggest to the list, and consider presenting at the session)
2. Hydrologic vocabularies and linked data
* Vocabularies for water chemistry
* Concept of hydrologic variables as implemented in different systems
* Examples and best practice in water quality / chemistry, including examples from UK linked data service for water chemistry (http://environment.data.gov.uk/water-quality/view/landing) (again, if you familiar with additional examples and solutions, please consider presenting)
Additionally, we would like to prioritize data challenges in global hydrologic data infrastructure, and identify additional topics where interests of participants may align and lead to best practices to be further explored by the group.
Please note that IDW early bird registration deadline is August 8th, and don't hesitate to forward to others who may be interested.
Email us for more info, and also check out https://rd-alliance.org/group/global-water-information-ig/wiki/global-wa...
- Matt, Tony, Sylvain, Ilya (on behalf of GWIIG)
__________________________________
Ilya Zaslavsky, Ph.D.
Director, Spatial Information Systems Lab
San Diego Supercomputer Center
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, MC-0505
La Jolla, CA 92093-0505
858.534.8342 (ph)
***@***.***

  • Ilya Zaslavsky's picture

    Author: Ilya Zaslavsky

    Date: 08 Aug, 2016

    Dear All,
    Correction of the meeting date:
    The GWIIG session date should be Thursday 15 September, not Thursday 14 September.
    Thanks Dave Tarboton for catching this!
    - ilya
    Sent: Sunday, August 7, 2016 10:37 AM
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org; ***@***.***
    Subject: [Hydro.dwg] Global Water Information IG session during the 8th RDA plenary, International Data Week, Denver, Sept 11-17
[...]

  • Gary Berg-Cross's picture

    Author: Gary Berg-Cross

    Date: 22 Aug, 2016

    Will someone from Global Water be willing to attend and summarize your effort and interest at the Domain Vocabulary Development, Standardization, Registration, Harmonization and Support Breakout  - Saturday17 Sept 11:00 - 12:30?

    The idea is that each domain group will provide a brief summary of their work and as available:

     relevant vocabularies, ontoologies, standards and  perhaps an illustrative use case such as harmonization and mappings between 2 or more vocabularies/ontologies and issues involved.

    We will also hope to have a community discussion of:

    • The state of vocabularies and harmonization,
    • Common interests such as vocabulary development & services,
    •  Issues and best practice solutions in the domain vocabulary space

    It seems likely that discussion of common infrastructure, services and approaches will be helpful across domain groups and may lead to ueful liazing between groups.

  • Ilya Zaslavsky's picture

    Author: Ilya Zaslavsky

    Date: 24 Aug, 2016

    Hi Gary,
    I am sure either Matt or I will be able to give a brief summary, since vocabularies will be one of the GWIIG discussion topics earlier that week. Thanks for the invite,
    - Ilya
    Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 2:58 PM
    To: Global Water Information IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/global-water-information-ig/post/global-wa...

  • Ilya Zaslavsky's picture

    Author: Ilya Zaslavsky

    Date: 08 Sep, 2016

    Dear Colleagues,
    I hope you plan to connect to the GWIIG session next Thursday. Below is the connection info. Please let us know if you plan to participate, and any additional topics you'd like to discuss,
    Thanks,
    - Ilya
    GTM Link: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/665303885
    You can also dial in using your phone.
    Access Code: 665-303-885
    Australia (Long distance): +61 2 8355 1034 Austria (Long distance): +43 7 2088 0716 Belgium (Long distance): +32 (0) 28 93 7002 Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9372 Denmark (Long distance): +45 69 91 84 58 Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 923 17 0556 France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 590 Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7206 Ireland (Long distance): +353 (0) 19 030 053 Italy (Long distance): +39 0 699 26 68 65 Netherlands (Long distance): +31 (0) 208 080 759 New Zealand (Long distance): +64 9 974 9579 Norway (Long distance): +47 21 04 30 59 Spain (Long distance): +34 931 76 1534 Sweden (Long distance): +46 (0) 852 500 691 Switzerland (Long distance): +41 (0) 435 0026 89 United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 20 3713 5011 United States +1 (571) 317-3116