Country Reports for National Data Services

Groups audience:

Hello members of the National Data Services Interest Group,
Kathleen approached us with an idea to develop some "country reports" in
the lead up to the Denver Data Week. I think it is a great idea and I'd
propose we do some initial planning work using this shared folder:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WOeQjGOwmIQ09CeVY1NUpQREE
Maybe a first stab at a description of what we are planning to do and then
perhaps some templates etc. Anyone feel free to start that work ( I am on
leave for the next couple of weeks).
I would propose a phone hookup to kick this activity off on 26th July at
1pm GMT non daylight savings time or:
Pacific Time 6:00am
Eastern Time 9:00am
GMT (no daylight saving) 1:00pm
London 2:00pm
Brussels 3:00pm
India 6:30pm
Auckland 1:00amAustralian Eastern 11:00pm
Unless any very keen players can't make that time. (apologies Aukland and
Pacific! - we'll share the pain another time)
cheers,
Adrian
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Kathleen Shearer <

  • Mark Leggott's picture

    Author: Mark Leggott

    Date: 23 Jun, 2016

    Hi Adrian,
    I talked with Kathleen about this at OR, so RDC is certainly quite interested. I was working on an RDC Working Group to pull this information together to inform the recent efforts in Canada, so working through the RDA NDS IG makes a lot of sense.
    Mark
    Mark Leggott, Executive Director / Directeur exécutif
    Research Data Canada / Données de recherche Canada
    45 O’Connor Street, Suite 500 Ottawa, ON K1P 1A4 Canada
    w – rdc-drc.ca t – 613.220.7236 f – 613.943.5443 e – ***@***.***-drc.ca
    Skype – markleggott Zoom – 391-053-1054/***@***.***-drc.ca WhatsApp – 613.220.7236
    Twitter – @mleggott/#rdcdrc LinkedIn – ca.linkedin.com/in/markleggott
    On Jun 23, 2016, at 9:29 AM, aburton <***@***.***> wrote:
[...]
    [https://www.google.com/ig/modules/calendar/moon.gif] India
    6:30pm
    [https://www.google.com/ig/modules/calendar/moon.gif] Auckland
    1:00am
    Australian Eastern 11:00pm
    Unless any very keen players can't make that time. (apologies Aukland and Pacific! - we'll share the pain another time)
    cheers,
    Adrian
    On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Kathleen Shearer <***@***.***> wrote:
    Hi Adrian and Kevin,
    At the OR2016 conference, a number of us discussed a possible project for the NDS Interest Group that might be valuable for the community.
    The suggestion is to prepare an international report of existing national data services containing “country reports”. These reports could be prepared by each country and follow a standardized format. Maybe 2-3 pages? We could aim to have it pulled together for the Denver meeting and present the results there.
    On my part - if you like the idea - I’d be happy to help identify the sections/format (with others) and also provide some editorial support.
    What do you think?
    Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer,
    Consultant, RDC, CARL and ARL
    and
    Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
    ***@***.*** - +1 514 992 9068
    Skype: kathleen.shearer2 - twitter: @KathleeShearer
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/national-data-services/post/country-report...

  • Adrian Burton's picture

    Author: Adrian Burton

    Date: 24 Jun, 2016

    Mark
    Yes indeed it will be beneficial for the RDA NDS IG to be able to build on
    your work. That's much appreciated. And hopefully this forum will enable
    that work to go to another level.
    Looking forward to it.
    Cheers

  • Kevin Ashley's picture

    Author: Kevin Ashley

    Date: 27 Jun, 2016

    That's an excellent idea. Look forward to talking on the 26th.
    --
    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

  • Wenbo Chu's picture

    Author: Wenbo Chu

    Date: 27 Jun, 2016

    I agree with all that it is a great idea to have country profiles on
    national data services.
    Will not be able to attend the 26 July call, but would be happy to
    contribute to identifying sectors/format.
    Best,
    Wenbo

  • Afonso Duarte's picture

    Author: Afonso Duarte

    Date: 04 Jul, 2016

    Dear Adrian,

    Indeed a great idea. Together with Pedro Principe (also a Portuguese member of the "Country Reports for National Data Services") we would be interested in providing information on the National Report.

    Looking foward to the teleconf on the 26th.

    Best

    Afonso

  • Kenton McHenry's picture

    Author: Kenton McHenry

    Date: 07 Jul, 2016

    Agreed. Will be on the call.
    Kenton McHenry, Ph.D. Senior Research Scientist, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computer Science Deputy Director of the Scientific Software & Applications Division National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 17 Aug, 2016

    Dear members of the RDA National Data Services Interest Group,
    Based on our last call and some small group activity, we have come up with a template for the country reports.
    The report template is available in a google doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jT7-mUeH3Kzs0ljr4FoVgoZM7LIbB8ev55ON... and it is also attached as a word document to this message.
    The aim is to document the features and characteristics of emerging data services that are provided at the national level. In general, these types of national services can be defined as somewhat generic. They support research data management across multiple domains and are provided on a national scale (as opposed to discipline-based data centres or services). We recognize that this definition is rather “fuzzy", and that there may be several different services and initiatives in each country that will fit within its scope. We welcome a report from any national initiative.
    The reports will contain high level descriptions of national services being developed in countries around the world. At this stage, we are not looking for too much detail (3-5 pages long).
    We are asking people involved with national data services in their country to complete the reports by September 7, 2016 and send them to Kathleen and Adrian. The first draft of the reports will be shared at the next RDA meeting on September 16, 2016. Based on feedback and recommendations at the September meeting, we will aim to have the second iteration of the reports in October 2016 and we will actively encourage other countries not yet participating to contribute.
    Bob Hanisch has filled out the template for the US National Data Services. Thanks Bob!
    You are welcome to review their report to help guide you in your responses: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vn9GEWq5GZZh1SYdIfF_SJXTIYxkQIXSF1Yd...
    If you have any questions or comments, please send them to the group or include them as comments in the google document.
    Best, Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer
    Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
    Consultant, ARL, CARL, RDC

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 30 Aug, 2016

    Just a reminder to please send me and Adrian your country reports by September 7, 2016

  • Adrian Burton's picture

    Author: Adrian Burton

    Date: 09 Sep, 2016

    Hi all,
    there is now a folder with the national reports in it:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0WOeQjGOwmIb0lUT0pYWVpLaEE
    It's not too late to get yours in before Denver and be part of the
    discussion there!
    cheers
    Adrian
    On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:14 AM, Kathleen Shearer <

  • Mark Leggott's picture

    Author: Mark Leggott

    Date: 11 Sep, 2016

    I’ve deposited the Canadian response in the folder.
    Mark

    On Jun 23, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Adrian Burton <***@***.***> wrote:
[...]

  • Dejan Vitlacil's picture

    Author: Dejan Vitlacil

    Date: 12 Sep, 2016

    Dear all,
    I'm currently on vacation/parental leave but when back in office in October, will provide Swedish national report.
    In the Nordics, we are also organizing forum for National e-Infrastructure Providers and National Data Service Providers and some information can be found here:
    https://wiki.neic.no/wiki/2nd_Nordic_data_services_workshop
    Cheers,
    Dejan

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 13 Sep, 2016

    Hi all,
    In anticipation of the meeting coming up in Denver, can you please let us know if you will be there and are willing to present your report?
    As the reports are in draft, we are interested in both the content of your national report, but also some feedback about the structure/format. Are we missing key pieces of information? Is there too much repetition across different sections? And so on.
    I’d also like to remind you that in many countries there are a number of different services offered at the national level. We’d like to hear about all those different services, and welcome multiple submissions from any given country. This will ensure that we have a more comprehensive picture about what is being offered in the different national contexts.
    I hope the meeting goes well and sorry I won’t be there.
    Best, Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer
    Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
    ***@***.*** - +1 514 992 9068
    Skype: kathleen.shearer2 - twitter: @KathleeShearer

  • Linda Naughton's picture

    Author: Linda Naughton

    Date: 14 Sep, 2016

    Hi Kathleen,
    I'll be at the session and will be happy to present our overview which should be with you tomorrow.
    Kind regards
    Linda
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
    On Sep 10, 2016, at 8:38 PM, Mark Leggott <***@***.***-drc.ca> wrote:
[...]

  • Eva Méndez's picture

    Author: Eva Méndez

    Date: 14 Sep, 2016

    Dear friends,
    I am here in Denver, but unfortunately I have to be heading to the airport during our session next Saturday.
    I have started the report about Spain, but unfortunately there is not much to complete, and I would like to ask some more people in my country. However the template is a great tool for those countries that have intensive “research data services” to think over them, and for those that we are starting on defining the RD services to have models to look at.
    Thanks for a great work!!!
    Best,
    Eva
    --
    Dra. Eva M. Méndez Rodríguez
    Associate profesor. Library and Information Science Department
[...]

  • Kazu Yamaji's picture

    Author: Kazu Yamaji

    Date: 14 Sep, 2016

    Hi,
    ** On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:15:13 +0200
    ** evamen <***@***.***> writes:
    Me also unable to finish it before RDA (I am very sorry). Although I
    cannot join to RDA this time, some of my colleagues will come over
    there. At least one person from my institution will join to the
    session so I hope we can share our view through him if necessary.
    Best,
    --
    Kazu

submit a comment