Slides and Notes from Joint Meeting at Tokyo P7

  • Raymond Plante's picture

    Author: Raymond Plante

    Date: 01 Mar, 2016

    Dear MIG,

    At yesterday's joint metadata session, I felt that a major barrier to effectively discussing the proposed elements--i.e. evaluating as to whether the elements were "the right set"--was the lack of definitions for concepts they are to represent. In an effort improve the discussion, I offer a strawman set of definitions for each of the terms in slide 9 ("Open Data: Purposing the elements") in a spreadsheet posted at https://rd-alliance.org/metadata-p7-tokyo.html.  This was a useful exercise at least for me as I realized that I really didn't understand the intended concept behind a few of the elements.

    Another thing that I think is important to clarify is the overall model for the things we are trying to describe with these elements.  This is covered in part by block diagram in the slides that were presented, but I suspect more should be spelled out.  As context for my posted defiitions, I assumed that these elements are (complex) properties describing a thing I refer to as a Resource; a more precise definition is given within that spreadsheet.  I will also note that my own thinking comes from work I'm currently doing as part of the Materials Science Interest Group (and the proposed WG on resource registries for Material Science); a conceptual model is describe here:  http://wiki.nationaldataservice.org/ResourceConceptDataModel

    hope this is helpful,
    Ray

  • Arthur Smith's picture

    Author: Arthur Smith

    Date: 01 Mar, 2016

    On definitions for things data-related, I recently ran across the
    following website (from a German PhD thesis of a few years ago by Jakob
    Voß):
    http://aboutdata.org/patterns.html
    It defines a number of standard "patterns" he found repeated across a
    very wide variety of data systems. There is some clear overlap with your
    list ("Schema", "Identifier", "title"/"label"); maybe there are some
    additional elements in his analysis that would be helpful in defining
    the metadata needed to understand a particular collection of data.
    Arthur

  • Stephen Richard's picture

    Author: Stephen Richard

    Date: 01 Mar, 2016

    Ray—thanks for compiling this. I wasn’t at the session yesterday, but looking at the slides I had the same reaction. I’ve taken the liberty of making a google doc spreadsheet from your Excel to make it easier to collect comments and discussion. The resource definition is on the first tab, metadata element definitions on the second tab. At this point if people want, I’d suggest adding a new column for each reviewer. Comments can also be added using the google comments.
    the spreadsheet is at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Wi2GNM10d3e_iDWgDS-w4M4Zeaei1wO...
    permissions are set up so anyone with the link can edit.
    the doc is also published at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Wi2GNM10d3e_iDWgDS-w4M4Zeaei1wO...
    with that link you can only view, so you can share for read-only access.
    steve
    Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 6:45 AM
    To: Metadata IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
    Subject: Re: [rda-metadata-ig] Slides and Notes from Joint Meeting at Tokyo P7
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/metadata-ig/post/slides-and-notes-joint-me...

  • Brian Matthews's picture

    Author: Brian Matthews

    Date: 01 Mar, 2016

    We (that is in STFC) have also been working on similar models in the context of facilities and nano-materials data.
    We have just completed a deliverable for the project NFFA-Europe (www.nffa.eu) where we have
    defined a core set of concepts and fields for experiments. The document is not quite released as yet –
    I’ll send a link as soon as it is, but I’ll be talking about it at the joint Materials session this afternoon.
    It’s based on our earlier work on Core Scientific MetaData for facilities data.
    http://purl.org/net/csmd
    thanks
    Brian

    Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 6:45 AM
    To: Metadata IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
[...]

  • Keith Jeffery's picture

    Author: Keith Jeffery

    Date: 02 Mar, 2016

    Steve –
    Thanks for the google doc spreadsheet. I have added a column in an attempt to clarify (but I may well have confused!). I suspect we need an e-meeting after a suitable time interval since it is easier to express things that way than in a spreadsheet – although the spreadsheet is a great reference document.
    Best
    Keith
    Keith G Jeffery Consultants
    Prof Keith G Jeffery
    E: ***@***.***
    T: +44 7768 446088
    S: keithgjeffery
    Past President ERCIM www.ercim.eu (***@***.***)
    Past President euroCRIS www.eurocris.org
    Past Vice President VLDB www.vldb.org
    Fellow (CITP, CEng) BCS www.bcs.org
    Co-chair RDA MIG https://rd-alliance.org/internal-groups/metadata-ig.html
    Co-chair RDA MSDWG https://rd-alliance.org/working-groups/metadata-standards-directory-work...
    Co-chair RDA DICIG https://rd-alliance.org/internal-groups/data-context-ig.html
    The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
    intended recipient only. If you are not one of the intended
    recipients do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but
    return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.

    Author: Brian Matthews

    Date: 02 Mar, 2016

    What we have done identifies a number of base concepts which are either:
    - Part of the experimental context – e.g. people (in various roles) facility, instrument, project, sample (a key entity in our world), measurements or
    - Describe “Data Assets” and their management – e.g. data sets, data files, archives
    These conceptual entities then can have attributes such as titles, identifiers (universally!), timestamps, formats etc.
    The core list in the spreadsheet mixes up the “conceptual elements” and the “attribute elements” – understandably as this is a list.
    One of Keith’s diagrams does distinguish these.
    When I get a moment I’ll comment on the spreadsheet.
    I’ll try to arrange a summary of our draft specification to distribute.
    One thing that we have done also is begin to give an “abstract workflow for experimental science”.
    I don’t believe that you can clearly define (contextual) metadata without a model of what you are describing.
    Thanks
    Brian

    Author: Raymond Plante

    Date: 02 Mar, 2016

    Hey Steve -- thanks for the Google docs version--very helpful.
    Hi Brian--nice model for the CSMD. Borrowing some of that detail would useful for the more general model.
    ________________________________

    Author: Raymond Plante

    Date: 02 Mar, 2016

    Hey Vasily,
    Very insightful post; +1 on your 2 realizations when approaching metadata design.
    I was intrigued by your discussion of the annotation approach (I'll spend some time on the plane trying to digest your paper). I was wondering you might share a few sentences toward "annotations for dummies"--not so much that I'm completely unfamiliar with the term as much as I've encountered several variations on a theme bearing this name. You might comment, for instance, if this is an approach that allows people other than a provider of some resource to make statements about it and have those characterizations be part of the globally accessible description of it. Does it sit firmly in the ontological approach to metadata development? I gather from your discussion of "sentences" (akin to RDF statements), the answer is yes.
    In as much as I understand your perspective, the annotation approach sounds like something that can exist and be effective as a complement to some "core" description provided by the resource provider, particularly if, as you suggest, that the core schema is not so expansive.
    So I bring my own skepticism to metadata development efforts, despite the fact I'm engaged that very activity for Materials Science. I worry about whether a common metadata schema can simultaneously address the needs of high-level discovery and lower-level analysis. My interest in non-disruptive metadata extensibility is an attempt to address this concern: let's start off small and extend as needed by real use cases.
    And though it appeals to my info-nerd side, I also worry about the practicality of extracting information (let alone "knowledge") from sentences (is this like RDF triple statements?) that obscures any structure that a mere scientist could wrap their head around. Does getting anything useful out of a big graph of statements require a) learning a still-obscure query language, b) understanding of a vast or numerous ontologies, or c) a really smart tool (that I've yet to see)?
    That said, the sentence approach is probably more flexible to restructuring for addressing both high-level discovery and low-level analysis. (Did that make sense?)
    Anyway, I hope you can pardon the post-conference dinner thoughts. FWIW, it helps to understand where we think we're going (and what kind of work it will take to get there).
    cheers,
    Ray