  • Larry Lannom's picture

    Author: Larry Lannom

    Date: 22 Jan, 2016

    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for sending this along. The current status is that there is a
    draft charter coming together for a follow-on working group tentatively
    entitled simply Data Typing. I’ve requested, and apparently been
    granted, a BOF session for Tokyo with the hope that a new WG would be
    approved by then but that now seems unlikely given the timing of it all,
    community review, TAB review, Council approval, etc. But it should at
    least be in process by Tokyo.
    Also, you will have noticed that RDA/US just put out a call for a second
    round of Adoption Proposals. The MacArthur Foundation gave us a little
    money, I hope as a trial for more later, and we can fund something like
    four short efforts at around $40K each and DTR is certainly still up for
    adoption. Restricted to U.S. groups.
    Best,
    Larry

  • Larry Lannom's picture

    Author: Larry Lannom

    Date: 10 Feb, 2016

    Hello Steve,
    The status of the formal RDA DTR working group is that it has finished,
    but the follow-on group on Data Typing is still brewing. I hope to
    submit a proposed Case Statement to this list before P7 and there is
    another BOF scheduled for that Plenary.
    The final DTR output is at
    https://rd-alliance.org/group/data-type-registries-wg/outcomes/data-type...
    linked off the RDA home page, along with the other outputs and
    Recommendations.
    What you have done looks excellent and I hope you can help weave it into
    the work of the next group. Note also that Simon Cox posted some
    relevant links to this list a day after you sent this. All good homework
    for the BOF in Tokyo.
    Here at CNRI we have continued to work with U.S. government agencies and
    have had a fair amount of interaction with ISO 11179 enthusiasts and I
    note that spec shows up in your work as well.
    Best,
    Larry

  • Stephen Richard's picture

    Author: Stephen Richard

    Date: 11 Feb, 2016

    Larry-- Yes, I have been looking at ISO 11179, and have also been on the editing committee for the XML implementation of ISO19110. I think the distinctions made in 11179 between conceptual data types (Data_Element_Concept) and their representations in information systems (Data_Element) is useful. The conceptual level is important for addressing queries of the sort a domain user would ask (I'm looking for datasets that have information about thermal conductivity in rocks), and working with semantic enrichment. The representation (implementation) level is important for scenarios that involve automating data integration or workflows that pipe output from one process to input to another process, requiring low level 'matching' involving primitive data types, specific implementations, and measurement units.
[...]

  • Simon Cox's picture

    Author: Simon Cox

    Date: 11 Feb, 2016

    > The representation (implementation) level is important for scenarios that involve automating data integration or workflows
    I've suggested we mention EML and ESML as precedents in this space, and also the emerging Data Package work coming out of Open Knowledge.
    Simon