Two vocab tools - VocPrez & pyLODE

Groups audience:

Dear VSIG,
VocPrez
-----------
You may know of the new, open source, vocal server VocPrez [1], well a new version of it is now in production for the Geological Survey of Queensland delivering 60+ vocabularies: https://vocabs.gsq.digital/vocabulary/ . VocPrez can deliver vocabs sources from a number of sources - files, RVA, a SPARQL endpoint etc. and it can be themed to match an organisation’s branding. Work on VocPrez is on-going so if you need a vocab server, check it out!
pyLODE
-----------
Some of you may know about the ontology documentation tool pyLODE [2]. Like VocPrez, it is based on the recently updated open source Python RDF manipulation library RDFlib [3]. pyLODE has been used to document a number of Australian government ontologies, such as AGRIF [4].
pyLODE now has the abilities to:
* document a SKOS vocab like it does ontologies - by producing static HTML. e.g.s at [5]
* extract a SKOS hierarchy from an ontology, e.g.s at 6
You may find these features helpful when designing SKOS vocabs as you can “see” them and their metadata this way, without needing to use a vocab server. See the pyLODE documentation on profiles [7] for how to do this.
Regards,
Nick
[1] https://github.com/GeoscienceAustralia/VocPrez
[2] https://github.com/rdflib/pyLODE/
[3] https://rdflib.dev/
[4] http://linked.data.gov.au/def/agrif
[5] https://raw.githack.com/RDFLib/pyLODE/master/pylode/examples/data-access... (simple vocab), https://raw.githack.com/RDFLib/pyLODE/master/pylode/examples/earth-scien... (a large vocab), https://github.com/RDFLib/pyLODE/blob/master/pylode/examples/iso19115-1-... (a GitHub Makrdown documentation of a simple vocab)
[6] https://raw.githack.com/RDFLib/pyLODE/master/pylode/examples/agrif.skosp... (SKOS version of AGRIF), https://raw.githack.com/RDFLib/pyLODE/master/pylode/examples/brick.skosp... (a huge ontology’s class hierarchy)
[7] https://github.com/RDFLib/pyLODE#profiles
Dr Nicholas Car
Data Systems Architect
SURROUND Australia Pty Ltd
Address P.O. Box 86, Mawson, Canberra ACT 2607
Phone +61 477 560 177
Email ***@***.***
Website https://surroundaustralia.com
Enhancing Intelligence Within Organisations
delivering evidence that connects decisions to outcomes

  • Jakob Voß's picture

    Author: Jakob Voß

    Date: 04 May, 2020

    Dear Nick,
    Thanks for notification. You wrote:
    I've added VocPrez to the registry of terminology registries at BARTOC.org:
    https://bartoc.org/en/node/19061
    Please let me know if you'd like to change the information.
    The REST API could better be documented with an example: how to get
    machine-readable information about a vocabulary, how to get information
    about a concept, how to search in a vocabulary...
    Given a concept view the "Alternates Profiles" links seems broken, e.g. from
    https://vocabs.gsq.digital/object?vocab_id=address-type&uri=http%3A//lin...
    click an "All Profiles".
    I'm curious what motivated the development of VocPrez. Have you
    evaluated Skosmos and why decided to build a similar tool or how do they
    differ?
    Cheers
    Jakob

  • Nicholas Car's picture

    Author: Nicholas Car

    Date: 04 May, 2020

    Hi Jakob,
    Thanks for adding VocPrez! Regarding the information you have: VocPrez is a stand-alone tool and is just used for that Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy’s vocabularies but it can be used anywhere, so it’s not ties to that domain at all, it’s just pure SKOS-based. So the best link for VocPrez, the system, is really it’s repository at https://github.com/GeoscienceAustralia/VocPrez , not this instance URI of https://vocabs.gsq.digital/vocabulary/ . Also, the API should really be “Linked Data API” and perhaps “+ SPARQL” since it’s designed to deliver content online as RDF + HTML first with SPARQL only as a backup endpoint for down-stream systems to use.
    Yes, I know about Skosmos (and PoolParty, and a few others). There are two main motivations for VocPrez:
    1. To act as a replacement for a previous read-only SKOS vocab front-end - SISSVoc
    - We have a legacy set of installations of SISSVoc (http://www.sissvoc.info ), a read-only SKOS vocab Linked Data front end developed on top of Epimorphics’ ELDA, that we wish to replace
    - SISSVoc uses old Java libraries that are no longer well maintained and so we developed VocPrez in modern Python to do a similar to but to be easier to maintain.
    - VocPrez is template-based and pretty simple as far as web frameworks for Linked Data go
    Like SISSVoc, VocPrez doesn’t manage vocabs, only deliver them as Linked Data - RDF & HTML. VocPrez can also use multiple back-ends so you can use, say, VocBench or PoolParty as a vocab development environment with VocPrez in front for online delivery. For the the instances in production now, Oracle, GitHub, RDF files, SPARQL endpoints and custom APIs are all used for the back-end
    2. To implement Content Negotiation by Profile
    The soon-to-be W3C recommendation ConnegP (https://www.w3.org/TR/dx-prof-conneg/ ) includes standard methods of asking for profiles of specifications and VocPrez uses a Python library, pyLDAPI (https://github.com/rdflib/pyLDAPI ) that is one of the ConnegP demonstration toolkits.
    Thanks for pointing out that broken Alternates profile link! We are updating VocPrez to match changes in the ConnegP draft and, in this case, we are a week or two behind catching up to a change made in the way the Alternate Profile access is listed. Will try and fix now!
    Cheers,
    Nick

submit a comment