Van: ingrid.dillo=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] Namens Ingrid Dillo
Verzonden: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:35 PM
Aan: ***@***.***-groups.org
Onderwerp: [rdawds-cost-recovery] RDA area clustering : feedback needed
Dear group members,
The Technical Advisory Board (TAB) of the RDA has endorsed an area cluster model that should bring clarity to the RDA activities particularly for the external community. The document is attached. TAB now seeks feedback on this document and poses us two specific questions:
1. Do you agree with the location of our IG Cost Recovery in Q4?
2. Which 3-5 tags best describe our IG activities?
Please send me your feedback and comments by next Monday, 23 February. This feedback will be incorporated into a coordinated response of the overall IG Publishing Data.
Best wishes,
Ingrid
1.

File Attachment:
  • Simon Hodson's picture

    Author: Simon Hodson

    Date: 26 Feb, 2015

    Dear Eefke, all;
    Thank you very much, that is really helpful.
    Shifting to a slightly more qualitative analysis, I would like to suggest the following questions (at least) as starting points for the analysis - and there are likely others…
    What proportion feels their model is changing or at least under threat and why?
    What proportion is relying to some extent or are exploring deposit fees? Why? What are data centres’ attitudes towards this form of funding?
    What proportion is relying on research grants for R&D and how does this fit with the centres’ mission?
    Things that occurred to me, impressionistically:
    Those centres with core funding are very happy with that relative security, thank you very much… But it’s still on a short timescale (e.g. 5 years) relatively speaking.
    There seems to be a very significant reliance on research projects to pursue R&D, value added services, service development.
    Although there are other benefits of being hosted in a RPO, often a university, the financial benefits of such arrangements do not seem very great…
    For the centres I interviewed, there was not a very strong agenda to explore entirely new income streams but rather to expand current stream (e.g. for most centres’ the envisaged streams were already present if only in pilot or forming a relatively small part of the income).
    Just some thoughts for discussion, on looking over Eefke’s ppt.
    Best wishes,
    Simon.
    ___________________________
    CODATA: International Collaboration for Open Scientific Data, an information leaflet http://bit.ly/codata_info_14-09
    ___________________________
    Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org
    E-Mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99
    Blog: http://www.codata.org/blog
    Diary: http://bit.ly/simonhodson99-calendar
    Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59
    CODATA (ICSU Committee on Data for Science and Technology), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE

  • Ingrid Dillo's picture

    Author: Ingrid Dillo

    Date: 27 Feb, 2015

    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the effort you put into this Eefke! I think we already have some very interesting elements at the table that will lead to interesting discussions in San Diego and beyond. Working at a data center I do recognize a lot of the points. The low uptake of data deposit fees could have multiple reasons: you need to convince your stakeholders/other funders that this is necessary, you have to communicate with your depositors, be it individuals or organisations, and it does take effort to set up the adminstrative side of things. All in all at DANS it has proven to be a very lengthy process. My feeling is that most data centers are now reaching a turning point and are becoming aware of the fact that their current models and vomues of funding will not be sufficient in the (near) future. Becoming completely dependent on temporary project funding to keep your organisation going and to perform basicaaly structural tasks does not seem very sustainable to me. Data deposit fees could be part of the solution here, although these fees need to be paid out of the same limited overall funds for research. So this in the ned may not be as easy as it seems.
    Best wishes,
    Ingrid
    From: Eefke Smit <***@***.***-assoc.org>
    Date: vrijdag 27 februari 2015 09:51
    To: Simon Hodson <***@***.***>, RDA/WDS Publishing Data Cost Recovery for Data Centres <***@***.***-groups.org>
    Cc: Ingrid Dillo <***@***.***>, Anita de Waard <***@***.***>, Mustapha Mokrane <***@***.***-wds.org>
    Subject: RE: [rdawds-cost-recovery] Cost Recovery Patterns, quick scan of the interviews done
    Dear Simon,
    Yes, you raise some very good questions. And the spreadsheet with repsonses does give more insight in several of these factors.
    I have added an extra sheet on it.
    But for proper and deeper interpretation of the response set, it is properly better to discuss this among the interviewers. They will recall from the talks what the general sentiment was on all of these issues.
    For some of your questions: I only counted 5 data centres who charge for data deposits. As one of more income streams. And around half of the datacentres rely on project grants for research, also as one of the streams.
    Nevertheless, this is what I have been reading inbetween the lines (and in some cases even more explicit):
    [cid:***@***.***]
    This slide has now been added. New ppt attached,
    Best, Eefke
    Eefke Smit
    International Association of STM Publishers
    Director, Standards and Technology
    www.stm-assoc.org
    ***@***.***-assoc.org
    CC: Ingrid Dillo; Anita de Waard; Mustapha Mokrane
[...]
    On 26 Feb 2015, at 16:50, Eefke Smit <***@***.***-assoc.org> wrote:
    Dear Ingrid, Simon and Anita, dear All,
    As agreed in the meeting we had this week, I made a quick scan of the responses of the 23 interviewed data repositories. And summarized what I found the most salient points. See the attached ppt.
    As a caveat: I did it in a very rough and superficial analysis, rounding of the approximate percentages for overlaps in answers. To quote Anita: in the (sloppy) way that journalists tend to work.
    Nevertheless, I found the overall picture very interesting, especially as an outsider as I did not do any of the interviews.
    Feel free to use any of the power points slides for whatever purpose you can think of.
    Hope all of this is useful,
    Best regards,
    Eefke
    The Technical Advisory Board (TAB) of the RDA has endorsed an area cluster model that should bring clarity to the RDA activities particularly for the external community. The document is attached. TAB now seeks feedback on this document and poses us two specific questions:
    1. Do you agree with the location of our IG Cost Recovery in Q4?
    2. Which 3-5 tags best describe our IG activities?
    Please send me your feedback and comments by next Monday, 23 February. This feedback will be incorporated into a coordinated response of the overall IG Publishing Data.
    Best wishes,
    Ingrid
    1.
    <2015 Cost recovery patterns Survey quick scan.pptx>

    AttachmentSize
    Image icon image001.png25.92 KB

  • Simon Hodson's picture

    Author: Simon Hodson

    Date: 27 Feb, 2015

    Dear all,
    Thanks for this. Interesting perspective from Ingrid to help frame the analysis and narrative.
    Thanks Eefke for the extra slide. To prepare for the meeting in San Diego, I think if we all think of and share such questions and interpretations it will be very helpful. Eefke’s point about the perceived value of curation and data deposit fees might be an interesting line to pursue, as well as Ingrid’s point about the challenges in changing funding model - or even in shifting the balance.
    One notable transformation in the UK was the removal of funding for the AHDS, the Arts and Humanities Data Service. Insofar as this had been thought out, it can only be assumed that AHRC felt that research institutions would take responsibility for databases / sources etc in these fields. Related to this, the Archaeology Data Service was required to shift its funding model from a core grant to deposit fees. This was a staged process and the ADS has done this very successfully. The deposit fees are relatively high, reflecting the level of curation. Research grants applications need to allocate funds for ADS deposit where appropriate. ADS benefits from a high rate of deposit, stimulated by legal requirements, from outside academia. The extent then to which this model can be applied outside archaeology and those legal and policy frameworks should be debated.
    Best wishes,
    Simon.
    ___________________________

    Author: Simon Hodson

    Date: 04 Mar, 2015

    Thanks, Anita, Eefke.
    This has made really good progress and many thank for the great input. I look forward to discussing this further with Ingrid on Sunday and in our session on Monday.
    It’s coming together very well and we are set for an interesting session.
    With very best wishes,
    Simon.
    ___________________________

    Author: Simon Hodson

    Date: 05 Mar, 2015

    Thanks very much, Ian.
    ___________________________
    CODATA: International Collaboration for Open Scientific Data, an information leaflet http://bit.ly/codata_info_14-09
    ___________________________
    Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org
    E-Mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99
    Blog: http://www.codata.org/blog
    Diary: http://bit.ly/simonhodson99-calendar
    Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59
    CODATA (ICSU Committee on Data for Science and Technology), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE

  • Anita de Waard's picture

    Author: Anita de Waard

    Date: 05 Mar, 2015

    Agreed, this is very useful, Ian.
    I especially appreciated this question:
    · What can the RDA do to help repositories identify alternative
    sources of revenue given the comment about not having time to explore new
    models?
    Perhaps we can take that as a starting point for our discussion at RDA, in
    fact?
    Anita de Waard | VP, Research Data Collaborations | Elsevier | Research
    Data Services
    @anitawaard | ***@***.***
    |http://researchdata.elsevier.com/anita | +1 (619) 252 8589

submit a comment