From: "Shanahan, Hugh" <***@***.***>
Date: Tuesday, 21 April 2020 at 15:04
To: "***@***.***-greifswald.de" <***@***.***-greifswald.de>, "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>, "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>, James Hetherington - UKRI <***@***.***>, Michelle Barker <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: [EXT] [rda-covid19] Re: [rda-covid19][rda-covid19-epidemiology] rda-covid19-epidemiology rds general - Work organization - Issues / Shortcomings
Hi all
I'd like to follow up on the research software discussion. There are a few points to be considered here.
The first report (end of this week) appears to be heading for a structure of a set of short reports from each sub-group and that more, increasingly detailed, reports will follow. I would also say that everyone agrees that we have to discuss software in some fashion and that there is a good argument to say that it is cross-cutting and should get a page or so on its own. Put more pragmatically, rather than each sub-group trying to squeeze in a reference to software in a paragraph it's more efficient to have one section given over to it.
Given the range of topics being covered in the initial report it is likely that there will have a very broad audience who will read it cover-to-cover (as long as it isn't too long). We shouldn't underestimate the importance of that. In this first report a good strategy overall is to capture the main points from the literature and reference extensively. Future reports need much more of a deep dive.
From that perspective, a short generic introduction to good research software practices (and to stress referencing the extensive body of work in this area) makes sense. To note - even amongst the individuals in the overall working group there will be people not familiar with this and hence should be informed of these generic but important principles.
If the consensus is to reject that approach then an alternative needs to be put together now. I think all of us would agree that not giving software the prominence it deserves in this report and future reports would be a retrograde step.
All the best (and thanks for reading to the bottom of this email)
Hugh
Sent: 21 April 2020 12:04
To: ***@***.***-greifswald.de <***@***.***-greifswald.de>; ***@***.***-groups.org <***@***.***-groups.org>; ***@***.***-groups.org <***@***.***-groups.org>
* Documents: Sometimes I see a very generic approach to documents
* Example: "Good practices for Research Software" -> Is such a document our goal as many have thought and published about this topic. This scope is not specific to any single group here or COVID-19. Would we succeed in creating something better in a few days? I am not certain!
Strong Agree. We should be encouraging Covid work to make itself aware of existing practice guides, such as, for this topic, those created by the various national Research Software Engineering associations. https://de-rse.org/de/index.html https://nl-rse.org https://nordic-rse.org https://rse.ac.uk https://us-rse.org https://rse-aunz.github.io
Carsten Oliver Schmidt
Prof. Dr. rer. med. habil. Dr. phil.
Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Institut für Community Medicine
SHIP-KEF - Division Quality in the Health Scienes
Walther Rathenau Str. 48
17475 Greifswald
Tel.: 03834 867713
Fax: 03834 866684
Email: ***@***.***-greifswald.de
This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments that are not related directly to UKRI business are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of UKRI.
This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.

  • Katherine McNeill's picture

    Author: Katherine McNeill

    Date: 21 Apr, 2020

    Indeed. From what I hear, there's a path emerging from the variety of points being made. A concise section included here that highlights the issue and key principles, then pointing to (but not aiming to reinvent) existing well-established documents.
    Best,
    Katy
    ------------------------------
    Katherine McNeill
    Research Data Program Manager & Collections Librarian
    Harvard Business School, Knowledge and Library Services
    ***@***.***
    www.library.hbs.edu/Services/Research-Data-Program
    Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:39
    To: Shanahan, Hugh <***@***.***>; ***@***.***-greifswald.de; ***@***.***-groups.org; ***@***.***-groups.org; Michelle Barker <***@***.***>
    I support Hugh’s points here.
    I might characterise this as: a short invective in this document, reiterating the fundamental tenets of the research software gospel, with citations to scripture.
    --
    Dr James Hetherington FBCS
    Director of Digital Research Infrastructure
    From: "Shanahan, Hugh" <***@***.***>
    Date: Tuesday, 21 April 2020 at 15:04
    To: "***@***.***-greifswald.de" <***@***.***-greifswald.de>, "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>, "***@***.***-groups.org" <***@***.***-groups.org>, James Hetherington - UKRI <***@***.***>, Michelle Barker <***@***.***>
[...]
    From that perspective, a short generic introduction to good research software practices (and to stress referencing the extensive body of work in this area) makes sense. To note - even amongst the individuals in the overall working group there will be people not familiar with this and hence should be informed of these generic but important principles.