Meeting in 23 hours [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Groups audience:

Hi all,
We have our next Australian-friendly provenance group meeting in 23 hours at the following time:
Los Angeles, USA Tue, 29 Aug 2017 at 6:00 pm PDT
Chicago, USA Tue, 29 Aug 2017 at 8:00 pm CDT
London, United Kingdom Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 2:00 am BST
Paris, France Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 3:00 am CEST
Berlin, Germany Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 3:00 am CEST
Canberra, Australia Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 11:00 am AEST
Agenda
1. Review of last meeting's minutes
2. Update on WG business
3. Presentation
* Nicholas Car on Provenance Aspects of the Data Reliability Framework for Natural Hazard Exposure Information
4. Discussion: provenance and versioning of vocabulary items
5. Member reports
6. General business
As you can see from the Agenda, I'll be over-viewing a report by the Bushfire & Natural Hazards CRC that mentions the use of provenance for data quality assessments and I invite people to discuss provenance and versioning of vocabularies and the terms within them, since we are seeing more and more use of semantic vocabularies in Australia via the ANDS services and elsewhere.
Connection details
Dial: +61 3 99059666 (+61 3 9905 ZOOM) or +61 2 8015 2088
International numbers available: https://monash.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=mEazIfraeOxz9nanSp3OW4jsaj1TVS7K
Join from a Video capable room system(H.323/SIP):
Dial: 61262227588 (From within Monash only)
or: ***@***.*** (H323) or ***@***.*** (SIP)
or 162.255.36.11 or 162.255.37.11
Meeting ID: 276 978 584
See you soon,
Nick

  • Nicholas Car's picture

    Author: Nicholas Car

    Date: 30 Aug, 2017

    Hi all,
    Attached is a draft of the report which I talked through today. Below are some excerpts from the report about provenance.
    Nick
    p3
    Building on the International Standards Organisation’s criteria for data quality as well as a standardised data provenance framework, we propose a data reliability framework for exposure information systems.
    One of the features suggested for this framework is for exposure information systems to start with classification systems for various reliability or quality criteria based on the provenance, spatial accuracy, currency and precision of the data.
    p7
    ...there is increasing reliance on secondary data sources such as estimates and predictions. This secondary data may have different characteristics (e.g. the estimate is based on a set of assumptions) that affect the overall reliability while the end users of exposure information systems often assume that their characteristics are uniform (Wong and Wu, 1995; Burrough, 1986). This is when the more conventional method of disclosing reliability, such as metadata, becomes less useful because the metadata needs to contain certain information, such as data provenance, which is hidden in the background by the system’s data presentation.
    p9
    4.1.1 Lineage or Provenance
    - section, definition
    p18
    5.1.3 Data Provenance Framework
    - PROV-DM
    - Car, 2016
    - According to Car (2016), this framework can be used to produce an assessment of the reliability of the data. He offers two general options to assess the reliability of the data for which provenance is recorded. The first is by checking the history of all the provenance components and comparing them with some specific, desired criteria. Provenance about both the data ancestors and Agents who are responsible for data, as well as methods used to produce the data or information may all be relevant to a reliability assessment. The second option is to look at how data is perceived by other users of it. Statistics about use, who in particular used the data and how (the methods that need to be applied when using the data) may all be relevant.
    p23 Framework image
    p22 "provenance and metadata – can be seen as one package, but it might be useful to separate them as provenance could be captured directly from activities"
    p24 "provenance can be used to automatically update the status of the data every time it goes through modification"
    References
    Buneman, P., Khanna, S., Wang-Chiew, T. (2001), Why and where: A characterization of data provenance. International Conference on Database Theory Proceedings, Bussche J.v.d. and Vianu, V. (eds.) 8th international conference, London, UK, January 4-6. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 316–330.
    - definitions of provenance
    Di, L., Yue, P., Ramapriyan, H.K., King, R.L. (2013), ‘Geoscience data provenance: An overview’, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51(11): 5065–5072.
    - domain linking
    Chebotko, A., Simmhan, Y., Missier, P. (2011), ‘Guest editorial: Scientific workflows, provenance and their applications’, International Journal of Computer Application, 18(3): 130–132.
    - distributed data manipulation
    Car, N. (2016), Data Reuse Fitness Assessment Using Provenance, Conference paper. SciDataCon2016 11-13 September, Denver, Colorado, USA Available at http://www.scidatacon.org/2016/sessions/53/paper/47/ [Accessed 13 July 2017]
    Moreau, L., Missier, P. (2013), PROV-DM: The PROV Data Model. W3C recommendation; The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Available at https://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dm/ [Accessed 18 May 2016].
    - the provenance framework used