Von: bchen=***@***.***-groups.org
[mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] Im Auftrag von rsc32
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. August 2017 06:21
An: Peretsman-Clement, Gail; RDA/CODATA Legal Interoperability IG
Betreff: Re: [rda-legalinterop-ig] Notes from 17-07-28 Legal
Interoperability Call
Ok, no problem! Let's go with this...hope everyone can join! Cheers, Bob
Sent from my iPhone
*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, CIESIN, The Earth Institute
Columbia University
61 Route 9W, Palisades NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952
e-mail ***@***.***
On Aug 17, 2017, at 10:41 PM, Peretsman-Clement, Gail <***@***.***>
wrote:
Hello Bob et al,
My Outlook calendar definitely has an appointment on it for tomorrow's call
(per screen capture below). This appointment came directly from CODATA (I
did not manually enter it).
If you prefer to cancel the call, please let us know!
- Gail
    Author: Gail Clement

    Date: 18 Aug, 2017

    Dear Christoph and All,
    We have two other speakers identified for the first session but we need confirmation they are attending. The case presenter from Canada can cover travel but has asked if registration would be applicable since the speaker will only attend for our sessions. The other one has not indicated any barriers to attending: I am awaiting an abstract.
    The second session is a break out to discuss the cases. It is not closed but it is a working meeting to follow up on the first session.
    More details can be shared on our call this morning.
    Best - Gail
    Author: Carrie Seltzer

    Date: 18 Aug, 2017

    Hi Christoph,

    Thanks for updating. Here is a working title and very short description for the website:

    Title: Barriers to implementing legal interoperability principles for data in the context of multinational, multifunder, transdisciplinary projects

    Description: The Belmont Forum brings together 25 research funders from around the world to support transdisciplinary research to deliver the knowledge needed to address environmental challenges. All projects supported through the Belmont Forum have PIs and stakeholders from at least 3 countries and 3 different funders. The Belmont Forum e-Infrastructure and Data Management initiative is in the initial stages of determining how to implement the legal interoperability recommendations for data sharing in this context. The presentation will address the considerations, including an array of funder policies, sensitivity to indigenous knowledge and intellectual property rights, and adequate training to prepare the investigators to comply.

    Best,

    Carrie

  • Jean Bernard Minster's picture

    Author: Jean Bernard Minster

    Date: 18 Aug, 2017

    I called Steve Diggs and Paul Uhlir, and reached neither one. I left messages explaining what we were hoping to get them to do, and a phone number to call me back.
    I’ll send an email to Wim Hugo.
    Bernard
    Jean-Bernard Minster
    ***@***.***

  • Melissa Haendel's picture

    Author: Melissa Haendel

    Date: 18 Aug, 2017

    Hi all,
    I’m intermittently on internet as on vacation- just wanted to let you know i can provide a title and abstract next week.
    Sorry for the delay!
    Also - I probably cannot attend all of RDA, but would really like also to spend some social time before and/or after with all of you - can you let me know your schedules?
    Best,
    Melissa
    On Aug 18, 2017, at 6:37 AM, Repositorian <***@***.***> wrote:
[...]

  • Robert Chen's picture

    Author: Robert Chen

    Date: 18 Aug, 2017

    Just to confirm, the breakout session is at 3:30 pm on Wednesday, right?
    If so, Bob Downs is available to rapporteur (and to attend the 1:30 pm
    session).
    Cheers, Bob
    *****

    Author: Gail Clement

    Date: 19 Aug, 2017

    Great news. Thank you Bernard!
    ________________________________
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rdacodata-legal-interoperability-ig/po...

  • Melissa Haendel's picture

    Author: Melissa Haendel

    Date: 22 Aug, 2017

    Hi all,
    Just making plans.. does anyone want to meet the evening beforehand? I will plan to arrive on the 18th and leave on the 20th, please let me know if I have missed anything in terms of scheduling ;-).
    Cheers,
    Melissa

    Author: Jean Bernard Minster

    Date: 25 Aug, 2017

    I will be leaving San Diego on the 18th at 6am, but will only land in Montreal at 9pm. Connections to and from San Diego are terrible, as usual. Bernard
    Jean-Bernard Minster
    ***@***.***

  • Melissa Haendel's picture

    Author: Melissa Haendel

    Date: 25 Aug, 2017

    Hi all,
    Here is my title and abstract:
    Authors:
    Melissa Haendel, Robin Champieux, Lilly Winfree, Letisha Wyatt, Julie McMurry, Seth Carbon
    Title: Reusable data for biomedicine: A data licensing odyssey
    Abstract:
    Biomedical data integrators grapple with a fundamental blocker in research today: licensing for data use and redistribution. Complex licensing and data reuse restrictions hinder most publicly-funded, seemingly “open” biomedical data from being put to its full potential. Such issues include missing licenses, non-standard licenses, and restrictive provisions. The sheer diversity of licenses are particularly thorny for those that aim to redistribute data. Redistributors are often required to contact each sub-source to obtain permissions, and this is complicated by the fact that on each side of the agreement there may be multiple legal entities involved and some sub-sources may themselves already be aggregating data from other sub-sources. Furthermore, interpreting legal compliance with source data licensing and use agreements is complicated, as data is often manipulated, shared, and redistributed by many types of research groups and users in various and subtle ways. Here, we debut a new effort, the (Re)usable Data Project, where we have created a five-part rubric to evaluate biomedical data sources and their licensing information to determine the degree to which unnegotiated and unrestricted reuse and redistribution are provided. We have tested the (Re)usable Data rubric against various biomedical data sources, ranking each source on a scale of zero to five stars, and have found that approximately half of the resources rank poorly, getting 2.5 stars or less. Our goal is to help biomedical informaticians and other users navigate the plethora of issues in reusing and redistributing biomedical data. The (Re)usable Data project aims to promote standardization and ease of reuse licensing practices by data providers.

    Author: Rodrigo Sara

    Date: 05 Sep, 2017

    Hi All,
    A quick email to introduce myself as I will (unexpectedly) be attending
    RDA10 and look forward to meeting those of you also attending.
    I work for CGIAR, a network if 15 international agricultural research
    centers. We are at the early stages of developing best practice guidelines
    and support tools on ‘privacy and ethics considerations in the data
    life-cycle, including practical approaches to address constraints’ - this
    will include looking at issues of legal interoperability. I came across
    this RDA IG while looking for external initiatives to connect with and am
    pleased to have found a community that appears to be grappling with similar
    issues in a range of different user contexts.
    Will try to join on Friday's call if timing permits.
    Regards,
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo Sara
    Senior Legal Officer, CGIAR System Office
    & Legal Consultant, CGIAR Big Data Platform
    (mobile) +33 (0) 677 203 8320
    (skype) rodrigo.sara
    ***@***.***; http://www.cgiar.org/
    (sent via gmail as it's the email account I used to sign up to the RDA
    mailing lists)

  • Gail Clement's picture

    Author: Gail Clement

    Date: 05 Sep, 2017

    Welcome, Rodrigo! Looking forward to learning more about CGIAR's data sharing initiatives for agriculture, and how we can work together.
    See you in Montreal!
    Gail Clement, Co-Chair
    Head of Research Services, Caltech Library